Saturday, August 29, 2009

My Incredible Bed


This may seem like a strange topic for an entry, but let me tell you about my week and you may understand.

So... I have taught my 4th graders for two and a half weeks now. After the first full week I came down with a cold. Not just a little sniffle, this was the full thing: fever, sinus cold, cough, sore throat, exhaustion, etc. The last time I was sick was over a year and a half ago. I honestly don't get sick very much.

We were doing the beginning of the year reading test and my principal had arranged for substitutes to come in and cover our classes for two half-days so that we could get these horrendous tests done. I couldn't just get a substitute. I HAD to go in. Monday and Tuesday were the worst but Wednesday was a close runner up.

This whole last week has been a haze. I would drag myself out of bed at (or soon after) 5:30 so that I could be at the school by 7:00 where I would try to somehow get ready for the day. After a day of the students telling me, "Miss Porter you look like you don't feel good!" and wearing a black jacket at recess when it was about 100 degrees outside and still getting the chills, I would force myself to give up trying to get things in order for the next day at about 7:00 in the evening. I would walk into my house, drop my stuff on the floor inside my door, take a dose of NyQuil and climb into my incredibly comfortable bed (hence the picture). Then I would start all over the next morning.

My mom and sister saved my life this week. They did so much for me including prep, correcting papers, and getting medicine and food for me. This has been one of the hardest weeks of my life. I am still exhausted, but it seems that I am finally on the mend.

2 comments:

Matt and Misty said...

That sounds terrible! I hope that you are feeling better :)

Raylene said...

You make it through! I am so glad that you are feeling better and that I could help. I know that you would have done the same for me because you are totally awesome. :0)